On-Site Goldsmith Services
We do everything from ring sizing to designing original jewelry creations on the premises. You receive the benefit of experience and training that has resulted in a level of workmanship that is superior to all other stores. We guarantee it. Our lead goldsmith is an award-winning artist who made his first ring at the age of 7. For no extra charge, you get jewelry that is done right the first time so you can wear and enjoy it longer.
Some stores subcontract their goldsmith work out to an off site shop. Others may do some minor repairs on premises but send the complicated work out. At Mills Jewelers, the risks of dealing with an unknown third party don’t exist. You won’t have to gamble on a bank of 15 goldsmiths with all levels of experience. You are never left wondering where your jewelry is or who is working on it. The result is consistent, reliable design and repair service.
If work is needed on your valued jewelry piece, you can count on us. We’ll set your diamonds while you watch by appointment. You’ll receive a close-up picture of your diamond for positive identification along with detailed documentation. Generations have trusted Mills Jewelers work since 1929. You’ll know why once you visit our store.
Workmanship – Choosing Your Jeweler
“BEST Jewelers in town…NO DOUBT! You get a sense of trust from the owner and staff there. They are also very knowledgeable and friendly…”
Most stores offer some kind of diamond ring warranty. Find out exactly what’s covered. A warranty has little value if you have to keep going back to the same inexperienced goldsmith to re-do work. What kind of reputation does the jeweler have for actually honoring warranties? Do you have to pay extra for “extended” warranties? Every diamond ring from Mills Jewelers comes with a complete lifetime warranty at no extra charge. This includes a diamond replacement policy if lost from the setting in the course of normal wear.
Qualified diamond setters are becoming very difficult to find. You may have a beautiful well-made mounting but it’s the goldsmith’s skill level that determines how secure your diamond will be in its setting. Every engagement ring from Mills Jewelers is set on the premises by our second generation goldsmith. He made his first ring when he was seven years old! There are techniques that are not just taught in goldsmith school. A well made mounting can be ruined by an inexperienced diamond setter.
Workmanship is Fundamental
What’s the point of choosing the perfect diamond if you wind up loosing it due to poor workmanship? When you shop for a diamond, you should also shop for a qualified goldsmith to set it. Click pictures to see larger image.
How do you know if a diamond has been set properly? If your diamond ring is to be worn securely, every prong has to be perfectly custom cut to fit the angle and shape of your diamond.
- If the groove that holds the diamond is not deep enough or cut at the wrong angle, the diamond can slip out of the seat.
- Cut too deep and the prong is weakened.
- Prongs that are not rounded to the crown of the diamond will not only distract from the appearance, but are more apt to catch on your clothes. It’s easier to pull a prong away from the diamond when they catch on clothing.
Why doesn’t every store offer reliable workmanship?
- Mills Jewelers goldsmith has the experience of two generations- We’ve been setting diamonds since 1929. There is no learning curve at your expense. Our prongs won’t catch. Diamonds will stay more secure. Less maintenance will be required.
- Instead of soldering with heat, solder, and flux we use a lasers. Seams are 70% stronger. When solder is used, there is the potential for discoloration or porosity at the solder point. Extreme heat can damage a stone. Lasers eliminate the risk. Laser welding provides a better, stronger, and safer job.
- We use higher quality materials. If you start with lighter weight prongs, you can’t set a diamond securely. If you use lower karat solder, you can’t expect to have a strong secure seam. If you start with a thin shank, you shouldn’t be surprised when it’s worn to a thread in just a few years. We don’t compromise on the materials that we use. Therefore the work we do just turns out better.